Guide to create, install and delete the Facebook pixel
The Facebook pixel is a great help to keep track of your ad campaigns on the social network. We explain the keys to this tool, vital in Facebook for companies, in this fantastic guide. Read on to find out what the Facebook pixel is for and how to create, install, share, delete it and know if it is correctly installed on your website!
What is the Facebook pixel?
The Facebook Pixel is a piece of code that is installed on your website. How can it benefit you? Mainly, it will help us to count the conversions we earn through the advertising we have on Facebook and the cost of each conversion. What information can you provide us? Take note!
- The traffic generated to your website.
- Purchases made.
- Products added to the shopping cart.
- Completed registration forms.
The Facebook pixel, in addition to measuring these actions, is used to make segmentation. For example, to exclude someone who has already converted on your website, in order not to re-impact them, or to the contrary, for someone who has entered a website but has not converted and you want to apply a strategy of lead marketing or retargeting, impacting you with a creative from a promotion. These are just two examples of the many uses of segmentations.
As you can see, it is very useful to know the effect that our campaigns are having on this social network. It’s interesting, right? Once we have detailed what the Facebook pixel is, let’s get into how it works.
Create and install Facebook pixel in WordPress step by step
The theory is fine, but if we want to take advantage of it, we must install it on our website. Below we detail the installation steps on two of the most famous platforms for internet businesses.
- Create Facebook Pixel
To obtain it, you must follow the following process:
- First of all we must go to our Business Manager or Ads Manager that we will find by following the corresponding route on our Facebook page: Ads Center> All Ads> Ads Manager.
- Once here we must click on the three lines that we find in the upper left part of the screen.
- Click on “Pixels” found in the “Results and Reports” section.
- Click the green “Create a Pixel” button.
- Then you will be able to see a screen where you can change the name of the Pixel. Write the one you want and click the “Continue” button.
- Later you must select an installation method from three possibilities. You can install the Pixel through a plugin, manually or send instructions to a developer to carry out this task. In the following points, we show you how you can do it yourself manually. If you choose this second option, then you will get the Facebook Pixel code, and this is how you will have created it.
- Place the Facebook Pixel on your website
The next step is to enter the code in the header of your website. WordPress allows you to easily locate it by going to “Appearance”> “Editor”. Once there, you should look for a file that usually has the name of Header, head.php or header.php. And, now you should find the <head> and </head> tags. Once located, you must copy the code and paste it between the <head> and </head> tags. And so the Facebook Pixel would be installed on your WordPress website.
Steps to install Facebook Pixel in Prestashop
If you work with Prestashop, one of the classic tools to create a free online store , you can install it on your website by first locating the code on Facebook in the same way that we have explained in the case of WordPress. Then, you must follow the following process in Prestashop:
- Go to the panel menu and select the Modules option.
- There, locate the Official Facebook Pixel module, which is free.
- Then click Install to install it.
- Once you enter this new module, you must click on Configuration
- A box will open where you will have to paste the code of the Pixel that you had obtained on Facebook.
- Click Save and it is that simple to install Facebook Pixel in Prestashop.
The utility of sharing a Facebook Pixel. How do you do it?
Facebook offers you the ability to share your Pixel with other people so that they can track your ads. For example, you can share it with an agency, following the steps below:
- Go to the trade manager .
- Click on Settings.
- Click Pixels.
- If you want to share the pixel with an individual account, choose the Assign ad accounts option , select it, and click Save changes.
- And, if you want to share the pixel with an agency, click Assign partner , indicate the agency’s business identifier and click Confirm. To find the identifier of the agency, go to the “Information” tab that you will find in the configuration of the agency’s commercial administrator.
How to remove a Pixel from Facebook?
It may happen that you stop working with a certain agency or that you are no longer interested in being shared with a certain person. In this case, you can delete it. Here’s how to remove a pixel from Facebook :
- Go to the trade manager.
- Go into Settings.
- Click Pixels.
- Go to Assigned Advertising Accounts or Assigned Partners according to the Pixel you want to delete. Once inside, click on the x next to the corresponding account or agency.
- Finally click on Remove advertising account or Remove partner .
How to know if a website has the Facebook pixel installed?
If you have questions about whether it is installed on your website, the ideal is to install an extension in Chrome known as Facebook Pixel Helper. It is the simplest way. But, once you have it ready, how do you know if a website has the Facebook Pixel installed? We remember that you will have to open the page in question in the Chrome browser and you will be able to identify if it is installed in the following way:
- If the Pixel is installed you will see a blue icon in the extensions bar. This icon includes a number at the bottom indicating the events that have been triggered when you open the web.
- In the event that the Pixel is not installed, you will see that this icon appears in gray.
Another way is using Facebook’s own Event Manager, where there is a section to “test events”. There you enter the URL where the pixel is supposed to be: it will be shown if it is implemented, as well as all the events.
Ready for the success of your Facebook ads? You just have to install the Facebook Pixel and keep track of your campaigns!